Resources for Flooding Recovery

Tourism is one of Montana’s most important industries, and many of our tourism reliant businesses in Yellowstone Country were hit hard by recent flooding. The Tourism Reliant Business Flood Assistance grant will give businesses in Carbon, Park, and Stillwater Counties much-needed support to get them up and running.

Caption:  Business MT Division Administrator Liane Taylor talks about the TRBFA Grant at the Gardiner MARC event on June 25.

Apply Here



Safety and Recreation in Flood Areas

flood-water-raging-2.jpgWe cannot stress this enough—floods are dangerous and they can happen quickly. Just six inches of fast-flowing water can knock a person over and one foot of moving water can sweep a vehicle away. 

  • There are many places across the state that are experiencing high levels of water and dangerous conditions, including turbulent currents and significant amounts of debris. Our most important mission right now is to preserve the life and safety of Montanans and our visitors. 
  • In light of the severe flooding happening across the state, we are asking folks not to recreate in the rivers that have the potential to flood, including swimming, kayaking, rafting, boating. Always listen to local directives from public safety officials and be aware of changing conditions when recreating near a river or flood area.
  • Play in the pool, not the rivers! Stay out of flood waters or rivers with high amounts of water. The high levels of water are dangerous and debris can cause significant injury.
  • If you have plans to recreate in a river or in a flood zone, consider other recreational opportunities in your area, like hiking or visiting your local downtown. Montana has a lot of outdoor opportunities to offer our citizens and visitors and it’s important we respect the areas that are a safety concern right now.
  • Montana is still open for business and we need to do all we can to support our local communities and economies. Don’t shy away from visiting different areas of Montana, just do so safely.



Flood Information for Travelersfamily-car-travel.jpg

Flood Information for Travelers



MT-Fish-Wildlife-Parks-Logo.jpgMontana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Restrictions and Closures

This is your one stop for all restrictions, closures, and reopenings of FWP managed lands and waterbodies that may be affected by floods, fire, drought or major maintenance activities.

Check Here for Current Restrictions & Closures



 Flood Damage Survey

QR_Code.pngAre you a property owner whose structure(s) were impacted by recent flooding? Take this brief survey, which is information the State of Montana must gather before it can submit a request to FEMA for Individual Assistance under the existing disaster declaration. FEMA needs to see this data when evaluating that request and determining whether Individual Assistance will be provided to the State.

NOTE: This is not an individual's application for FEMA Individual Assistance. If FEMA does award Individual Assistance, FEMA will send Individual Assistance teams who will work with each property owner to file the application for Individual Assistance at that time.

Take Flood Damage Survey



SBA Disaster Loan Assistance



Low-interest federal disaster loans are now available to Montana businesses and residents.




MT-DLI-logo.pngUnemployment Resources for Flooding Victims

Unemployment Insurance

Individuals who have lost work due to flooding may be eligible for unemployment insurance (UI) benefits. To file a claim online, visit You can also call the Unemployment Insurance Division's Claims Processing Center at (406) 444-2545 if you have questions.


Job Service Montana

Job Service Montana locations can help provide a range of resources to those out of work or seeking work due to this disaster. Individuals impacted can contact Job Service Billings at (406) 652-3080.

We encourage you to share this information with individuals you may know in the impacted areas.

To stay up-to-date, visit the Montana Department of Labor & Industry's website and follow its Facebook page.

Montana Department of Labor and Industry Website

Montana Department of Labor and Industry Facebook Page



DES-Logo.pngHow to Assist Those Affected by Flooding

Many individuals and organizations are wanting to donate to assist with the severe flooding that has occurred in Montana. Visit the Montana Disaster and Emergency Services website for resources on how donations may be made.

Donation Resources



Renter and Landlord Rights and Responsibilities

scales-justice.pngOn Tuesday, June 14, Governor Gianforte declared a statewide disaster due to destructive flooding in southern Montana. Currently, Montana Disaster and Emergency Services (DES) is continuing to support local authorities in Carbon, Park, and Stillwater counties, as well as working with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) on next steps.

During these challenging times, Montana Housing, along with the Montana Legal Services Association (MTLSA) and the Montana Landlords Association (MLA), would like to remind Montana renters and landlords of their rights and responsibilities. 

Landlord/Tenant Responsibilities



redcross-logo.pngThe American Red Cross

The Red Cross Recovery Team will remain in the area to work on case management and assessments. Call the Red Cross at 1-800-272-6668 if you need assistance.



Park-County-MT-Logo.pngPark County Flood Recovery

Park County Flood Recovery Guide for Homeowners.

Download the Park County Flood Recovery Guide



Flood Insurance Information/Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance CSI-State-Auditor.jpg

Commissioner Downing recommends that any person who has sustained property damage to immediately contact his or her agent to identify whether they have flood insurance coverage. Property owners who have flood insurance should promptly begin the process to file a claim.

Flood Insurance Information




Montana Severe Storm and Flooding


Check FEMA's website often for up-to-date information; it is updated hourly.

FEMA Montana Flooding Information



USDA-Logo.jpgResources for Farmers and Ranchers

USDA offers a variety of programs to help farmers, ranchers, communities, and businesses that have been hard hit by natural disaster events.

Farm and Ranch Resources



DEQ-Logo.pngDEQ provides support and resources for Montanans who are affected by flooding

DEQ resources include public water & wastewater system support, a flood guide and checklists related to underground storage tanks, emergency guidance related to asbestos-containing materials, information on protecting wells before a flood, information on disinfecting water supplies after a flood, and information on managing septic systems after a flood. 

DEQ support and resources



justserve-logo.jpegJust Serve Community Assistance

We are working to connect volunteers with relief efforts for disasters occurring in the  Billings/Red Lodge/Columbus/Fromberg and Bozeman/Yellowstone regions of Montana. 

The JustServe website allows groups, individuals or organizations to post needs as long as they follow rules and guidelines. 

Disaster Recovery Help 



red-lodge-area-community-foundation-logo.jpgCarbon County Disaster Relief Fund

Red Lodge Community Foundation has $3,000 grants for Carbon County residents displaced from housing or living in unsafe housing.  

Apply Here



Additional Resources for Individuals and Businesses


prospera-logo.pngProspera Flood Relief for Businesses

Has your business been affected by flooding in Yellowstone Country? Prospera is here to help!

Flood Relief Resource Guide



Flooding near Red Lodge. Photo credit: NBC Montana